Saturday 12 November 2011

No More Excuses


Ok, so we all like to pretend that we are some special case, like we have a really legit reason for not getting in shape, eating healthy or losing some weight. Here is the thing, if you even know me, you should realize by now that you have absolutely no excuse – zero - none. You can take whatever situation you are in and work with it to create the body and the life you have always wanted.
However, if you haven’t clued in and still want to make the excuses I am going to bust through those right now.
1.     “I don’t have time”
Umm, yes you do. You only need about 20 minutes per day to get in a workout.  I get up at 5 am every day of the week to make sure I get in at least 45 minutes of exercise on 6 of those days.

2.     “My partner/spouse/family isn’t supportive so I can’t fit exercise in or eat clean”
So what? I don’t even have a partner and I make time. I have no one to watch the kids while I take time out for me. Again, I get up at 5 am to fit in a solid workout before my children wake up. AND you can make your own food if your partner still wants to eat garbage. Live by example and forge a path instead of following their bad example.

3.     “I don’t have the money for a gym membership”
I am a sole-support parent without the babysitting or the extra cash at present for a gym membership. I got that body you see on Facebook solely training at home with almost no equipment.

4.     “I don’t know what I am doing”
Exercise: Number 1, you have GOOGLE! Seriously! You also have YOUTUBE! However, if that doesn’t work for you buy yourself a $10 Jillian Micheals DVD or a subscription to Oxygen Magazine. Both are inexpensive ways to figure it out.

Eating Habits: Buy ‘The Eat Clean Diet” by Tosca Reno. This book, or any book in her series, is literally all you need to change your eating habits and it is only $15.85! If you don’t have $15 as for it for Christmas. Here is a link on Amazon to buy it http://www.amazon.ca/Eat-Clean-Diet-Recharged-Tosca-Reno/dp/1552100677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321109880&sr=8-1

5.     “I can’t afford healthy food”
Actually, you can. Here are some tips: Stay out of the centre aisles of the grocery store; Eggs are cheap and a great source of protein; Organic Tofu is another inexpensive protein option; Watch for sales on things like chicken breast; Buy frozen fruit and veggies to supplement the fresh fruits and veggies; and STOP buying coffee and meals out - make your own. Again, I am a sole-support parent here without a ton of cash and I make it happen.

6.     “I have health problems”
You can work around literally any health or physical problem. Talk to your doctor or physiotherapist to help you come up with a plan.

7.     “I don’t want to look stupid”
No one is going to laugh at you. All those really ripped people out there will be silently cheering you on for changing your life – that is why they may look at you, not because they are laughing at you.

8.     “I don’t like to work out”
Then you haven’t looked hard enough for something you like to do. Also, just change your attitude! Decide you are going to enjoy your workouts instead of griping about them. Furthermore, you are an adult and we have to do things we don’t like sometimes.

9.     “It hurts to work out”
DOMS – Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness is normal. This is just because you are not accustomed to the exercise.  This will decrease over time and when I am sore, I just like to think of it as my workout having been effective.

10. “It’s my genetics – I am destined to be fat/skinny because my whole family is fat/skinny”
This is a giant lie! In the words of Tosca Reno (and a lot of other experts) your genes make up only about 10% of what your physical body looks like. It is your eating and exercise habits that shape your body for the most part. I never want to hear this out of anyone’s mouth again.

11. “I have no energy to exercise”
This is a chicken vs. egg argument. You have no energy because you don’t exercise and you don’t exercise because you have no energy. Change your habits today. Get enough rest, cut out the refined and processed foods and decide you are going to start an exercise regime. You will have more energy than you ever dreamed possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment