Thursday 20 October 2011

Freedom: It's what drives success.


Diet and Exercise. Those two words are enough to make about 50% of the population cringe. Lets use a timeless example, how often have you (or someone you know if we don't wanna make this personal) gotten on a treadmill to run off those cookies or that piece of chocolate cake?
Is the run any fun? No.
Do you feel better about yourself after? No.
Why is that? Because we diet and exercise from a place of legalism and punishment for not being good enough.  We say things like ‘I am not allowed to eat those cookies’ or ‘I have to work out for exactly 1.5 hours, 6 days per week or my body will never change’. If that sounds like your approach to fitness, take an imaginary eraser and erase everything in your brain that told you what eating and fitness were supposed to look like. It doesn’t have to be like that.
If you are reading this blog you probably know that I have lost 30 pounds since February of 2011. How did I do it? Diet and Exercise BUT here is the real key, I have learned not to punish myself but instead to enjoy the journey. Now when I run I enjoy the freedom of movement, the chill of the fall air, and the changing colour of the leaves. I am even enjoying the extremely limited nutrition plan I am on now as preparation for my first fitness show. 
How did I get here? It has been a slow process of revelation centred around the fact I want to enjoy every single minute of my life and I want to be able to live life as big as I can. I want to know that my time spent on earth was not only spent wisely but also in giving my all to every moment. I cannot give my all if my body is unhealthy. As I move myself to a place of being a better me, I can enjoy what previously seemed like discomfort because it is making me a better me. No one is forcing me to go through this process, I am FREE to choose and I am FREE to enjoy my life.
Where do you start in getting free? Today, I want you to find 6 things about yourself that you really like - 3 physical attributes and 3 character traits. Anytime you hear a negative voice telling you that you eat too much, you don't weigh what you should, or that you don't have enough discipline I want you remind yourself about those 6 things. Start rejoicing in who you are and where you are on this journey so that you can move forward from a place of completion instead of from a place of not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment