Sunday 4 March 2012

Portable Meat and Ice Cream – What I need in my Life


Well I never thought I would see the day where there would be a serious need to have portable meat I could eat without heating. Now I know there are lunch meats and strange dried meats you can buy at gas stations, but I am talking about real food, not faux food with ingredients as long as the alphabet. Anyway, I decided I would share my favorite portable meat with you, in the form of Chelle’s Chicken Mini Loaves (you can go to her blog recipeforfitness.com from my links). I have adjusted her original recipe, but if follows essentially the same idea. Obviously these are a favorite because they taste good both hot and cold but I really love that I can make them in a toaster oven. Four little loaves fit perfectly on that little pan (lined with parchment paper – I am in love with parchment paper for anything that gets baked).
Ingredients:
1 pounds lean ground turkey
½ cup chopped mushrooms
½ medium sized zucchini grated
½ small onion finely chopped
1 egg
Random seasoning – whatever is in arms reach (my favorite is a little Mrs. Dash and some Italien seasoning)
Frank’s Red Hot (if the children will not be eating any)

Instructions:
1)   Mix everything togther – preferably with your hands
2)   Form into four mini-loaves
3)   Cook at 375 until done (about 25 minutes)
Now ice cream, who doesn’t love ice cream? Of course, I can’t exactly have real ice cream but the next best thing can be found in a combination of Greek Yogurt and Chocolate Protein Powder (or vanilla). If you haven't learned this about me, I kind of hoard Greek Yogurt and use if for everything from dessert to making chicken salad. It is like my culinary life was made complete when I was introduced to the stuff. I am dreading the day I have to say good bye to it for a few weeks in advance of the June 2nd show.
Ingredients:
¾ - 1 Cup Greek Yogurt (I like President’s Choice)
1 Scoop Protein Powder of Choice (I like a natural chocolate sweetened with stevia)

Instructions:
1)   Mix together
2)   Put in the freezer until ice cream like in texture (maybe an hour
Oh happy day, happy day, there is ice cream!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment