Tuesday 7 February 2012

Domesticity and Quinoa Muffins

I do not like to clean but I like to bake. In particular, I like to bake on the weekends when it provides me a domestic outlet that does not involve scrubbing a tub or mopping a floor. I can feel good about doing something for my children that falls under the category of 'happy childhood memories with a 1950s stay-at-home mom' without getting out a vacuum.

This weekend one of the baking adventures involved developing a Quinoa Muffin Recipe. I fell in love with these, so much so that I should probably not make them again. I think I ate 3 when they came out of the oven and another 5 the following day.

Now, if you haven't joined the quinoa band wagon, you should consider adding it to your diet. Quinoa offers a complete protein, meaning it contains all 9 essential nutrients. It is also a good source of magnesium, manganese, folate, and phosphorus.

On with the recipe...

Yield: 12 normal-sized muffins or 18 small muffins

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt

1/4 cup safflower oil
1/4 cup palm sugar (or other sugar)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup milk (I used 1% but use what you prefer)
1 large egg
1 tbsp vanilla extract


Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and prepare muffin tins. If using silicone you wont need to oil or use paper.
2. Mix wet ingredients in one bowl and dry ingredients in another.
3. Mix wet and dry ingredients together.
4. Pour into prepared muffin tins.
5. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. For 18 small muffins, it takes 22 minutes in my oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment